Thursday 26 July 2012

The Oxygen Paradox


Perhaps this is a case of a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous, or maybe someone else has thought of this before, I presume they probably have.  Still isn’t it strange that the gas of life Oxygen is also the poison of life.

I was watching a documentary when they mentioned how oxygen causes cells to die, and skin to age and basically slowly over time kills us.  Hence why anti-oxidants are so popular, with their many ways to slow down the oxides that are poisoning us, eating foods high in anti-oxidants can slow down the decline of health.

Now this knowledge I presume is common place but this may also be why I said it can be dangerous because it made me think.  Image; we live on a world where a poison is crucial for survival.  What could this mean?  It reminded me of Blade Runner where four replicants want to live past their expiry date of four years, I think.
 
The famous speech improvised by Rutger Hauer, “I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Time to die – exactly.

Are we like the replicants in Blade Runner, our hour glass of life is controlled by our consumption of Oxygen?

Now I know one could say, well there are many things we need that can cause death, but they mainly cause it by excess or deficit of that substance.  Oxygen has to be inhaled always it does not have an excess or deficit level when living in our normal environment and atmosphere.  One cannot pig out of too much Oxygen, or decide to have an Oxygen free diet.

In a unique way it gives credence to the idea of a creator, something I dislike immensely, but still it is a convenient paradox that the element of life Oxygen, the stuff we have to breathe continuously, is one of the main causes of our doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment