Sunday 18 March 2012

Federer closing in on Number 2

I know its early days and I don’t want to put a dampener on John Isner’s amazing win over Djokovic, but if Federer can win Indian Wells and Miami, and Nadal doesn’t make the Miami final, then Roger Federer will move ahead of Rafa in the ATP rankings.  Mind after seeing how well Isner served against the Serb it is not going to be easy for Fed to win, especially since he lost his last match to Isner in the Davis Cup. 

I never watched the Nadal Federer semi because of the rain delay, but I was very surprised Federer was able to finally beat the Spaniard outdoors.  This has only happened once I think since 2007, and that one win was after the 4 hour epic between Djokovic and Nadal in Madrid.  Maybe we shouldn’t read too much into Rafa’s display, as it was his first tournament back for over a month and I bet he will play better next week in Miami.  Still it all seems rosy in the Federer camp with 38 wins out of his last 40 matches his confidence must be sky high, and I would imagine as I have said before if Federer can get his confidence back then he is nearly unbeatable.

It is good to see someone other than the big four in a final, after last year’s dominance, Isner will definitely pose a big threat to the great Swiss, but the odds are stacked against him.  If you look at the top 14 tournaments in the ATP calendar which include the four Slams, nine Master 1000’s and end of year final, out of the last 98 events Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have won an incredible 82 of them, with Federer himself winning an amazing 40.

It’s going to be tough for the giant American but with the crowd behind him we may see and upset, but I would still veer towards Federer.

No comments:

Post a Comment