Monday 28 February 2011

Never Let Me Go

Clearly I have no idea of what is an Oscar worthy film, after watching thousands and I mean thousands of films, the concept of what makes a great film eludes me.


Why do I say this, well because I have just watched Never Let Me Go, which has to be one of the most heartbreaking, moving, upsetting yet beautiful films I have seen? It traumatises you, and makes you realise how lucky you are to be alive. You have to understand the nuances of the situation to fully get to grasp the ideas behind it.

How this film was not nominated for best film, best director, best cinematography, best actress, is beyond me. There are not many films that can traumatise, and move you in such a way that you know you will never forget the experience.

Being an emotional screw up like me helps I think, and maybe that makes me biased towards the film, it really upset me and tears fell as I watched the most heartbreaking scenes.

I am not going to spoil the film here by writing about it, all I will say is if you have a heart and feel emotion, watch this film and tell me it is not worthy of the categories I mentioned.

It is a story with love, jealously, forgiveness, sadness, cold hearted pragmatism and expediency; a tale that makes you think about what is life, and what it is to be human.

Clearly because of its content, it has made Never Let Me Go, the type of film that does not get awards, but I bet it will be remembered far into the future.

I now definitely want to read the book, which I expect will be even more upsetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment