Friday 22 October 2010

The Wacky World of Speculative Mysterious History

When I was younger, I believed lots of crazy notions, (yes even more than today) about our planet and we, human beings. I am not sure what you would call my ideology back then, but I loved mysteries, I think it was probably three main reasons for this, one the X-Files, two reading Graham Hancock’s Fingerprints of the Gods, and three, sharing a flat with someone who was just as much into that sort of thinking, as I was at the time. I firmly believed, that intelligent human beings were descended from aliens or that we were not indigenous to this planet. At the time it just seemed totally implausible to me that we could have evolved into intelligent life, when nothing else was intelligent. I reasoned that aliens had come down and somehow mated with our species to produce self awareness. I think the main reason I thought this way, was because as I have said before, I did not like science until the late 90’s. I had no interest in the facts, and the evidence, you could say I was no better than the intelligent design nutters, but unlike those who are unwilling to change their views, for whatever reason. I am not like that and when more logical concepts were explained to me, I realised how wrong I was.


The main wacky concepts I remember were: how old are the pyramids and were they created by aliens or life forms we know little about. Who were the Olmec’s, and the Mayan’s (at the time little was known about the Mayan’s) and was their calendar prophesying the end of the world? Who was Viracocha and Quetzalcoatl, and why were they depicted as white? Who built Machu Picchu, and Tiahuanaco, and how did they get such large massive 100 ton blocks to the top of the Andes?

Graham Hancock’s book; although now it has been debunked I believe, was incredibly fascinating, and it was disgraceful how the scientists whether Egyptologists, Archeologists, Geologists, or Astronomers, treated him and his ideas and thoughts. I learned a great deal, I learned about precession, and how the sky is constantly changing through the Zodiac. What this means for anyone who does not know, is that the Earth is slightly tipped at an angle, so causing the seasons, and making the sky we see change over many millennia. It takes approximately 26,000 years to go through a full processional cycle and one degree in approximately 72 years (out of the 360 degrees in a circle). Graham Hancock found lots of evidence that the ancients knew this processional cycle and added into their architecture. He claimed the three pyramids at Giza, were an Earthly representation of Orion’s Belt, which has been disputed, but that one seems obvious to me, it does look like Orion’s Belt. One of his most controversial thoughts was that the Pyramids were not tombs, and were not build around 2500 BCE, he believed that they were much older and he used precession to show this.

What started off as an excellent book, he wrote later ones, but then he seemed to get mixed up with crazier ideas, and I started to find the whole concept too farfetched. I still think Fingerprints is an excellent book and worth reading.

I seem to have gone off track, I was going to talk about reading a blog this morning where someone suggests that the Mayan Calendar might be out by up to 50 to 100 years, so the supposed furor over the imminent end of the world in 2012 is called off at least for now. Oh those Armageddon/Rapture loony’s will be peeved. Then again is it not sacrosanct or sacrilege; I don’t know the difference, to take a heathen, pagan, human sacrificing culture and use its calendar for proving the end of the Christian religious world, i.e. The Book of Revelations? It’s amazing how these religions can mix and match these days. Back to the Mayan Calendar and the end of the world, it is supposed to happen on the 21st December 2012, the winter solstice, the beginning of the resurrection ironically. The sun reaches its lowest point and it lasts for three days then rises once more, umm now doesn’t that sound familiar. I have unfortunately watched tons of rubbish about the Mayan calendar and many charlatans have made fortunes pedaling their crap about the end of the world and what it all means. Whatever happens on the 21st Dec 2012, I will place a bet the size of the debt of Britain that most if not nearly all of the population of this planet is still alive.

That was a bit around the houses today, but I enjoyed writing it.

1 comment:

  1. How do, this is Sunrayvista. I LOVE your comment here about the use of a pagan religion being right to prove the Christian religion is right. What there seems to be is a demand by so many for the 'end' of this terrible civilization. Yet what is terrible about it? It offers work and life security missing for so many in the world. As people starve in India, its government makes moon rockets and we pay to help them do so. Children are legally raped and stoned to death in some countries. So let's get rid of what we have cos it's crap? These people are disaffected within themselves and then they level it against the only forms of civilization that have produced anything worthwhile for the inhabitants. One of the best sites on Armageddon/Rapture I read had a far right Christian extolling how BRILLIANT Armageddon was going to be because it would get rid of all the crap humans and environmental destruction but Jesus would take his loved ones up to wonderful houses in Heaven to wait it out. Of course he'd told Jesus that he wanted the biggest house. The biggest problem for humanity is not Armageddon, it's a God who thinks that this is a viable solution to human growth. If this God does exist, then this is bigger and nastier than every problem put on Earth, combined. This preferential, negative destruction will undo all the best that humans have achieved and push whatever is left into primitive conditions of lawlessness, such as seen in Somalia and the Congo now. I find it troubling that people can yearn for societal obliteration.

    ReplyDelete